IDS mailing list archives

Network hardware IPS

From: Alvin Wong <alvin.wong () b2b com my>
Date: 30 Sep 2003 09:45:54 +0800

Hi,

Thanks for the recommendations, I'm concerned about performance issues
when an IPS is plugged in, is there any statistics by any independent
reviewer about performance hits inline as i believe this would be an
important issue.

It would be good if they were any reviews that would include graphs and
performance deterioration in terms of throughput performance after an
IPS has been put in.

What would be interesting though is whether the IPS fulfills the
expected requirements which primarily to me is to do a good job in
dealing with potential attacks and allow the administrator more time in
other tasks.

To me, the prospect of using IDS and reviewing logs everyday seems like
a very time consuming prospect, any opinions on this from any who are
currently in such a situation?

I've evaluated some IDS products and felt that the management console is
taking up a lot of resources especially when it is extracting data from
the IDS appliance and refreshing constantly, any similar experiences?

Also, my question to any is the following
"One note of caution on TCP Reset is not a preferred method of blocking
attacks according to some security experts. " Alan Shimel

Why isn't TCP reset a preferred method of blocking?

Regards,
Alvin