IDS mailing list archives

Multiple network segment monitor with Snort

From: Sergio Pozo Hidalgo <blitter_es () yahoo es>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:59:28 +0200

Hi,
I'm planning to deploy a lab network where there will coexist some manageable layer 2 switches with VLANs and trunk ports to bind a Snort sensor to. The problem is that we're short on budget and I wan't to deploy various Snort sensors at different network zones.

Can I use the same physical machine (with as many ethernet cards as sensors I want to deploy) and use various and independent snort processes? I neither know if only one Snort process can control different network cards at the same time. And yes, I know that I can hog the sensor, but the networks are going to have little traffic (at least right now!).

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,
Sergio Pozo

Captus Networks IPS 4000
Intrusion Prevention and Traffic Shaping Technology to: - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
- Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
- Precisely Define and Implement Network Security & Performance Policies
FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit - WhitePapers - Live Demo http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CaptusNetworks_focus-ids_000101