IDS mailing list archives

Re: SNORT: MAC Address Alert

From: noconflic <nocon () texas-shooters com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 17:08:12 -0500

[jwilliams () mail wtamu edu] Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 10:30:54AM -0500 wrote:
We have been having an issue over the past couple of days where a couple
of computers are gaining access to our network and picking arbitrary IP
addresses to send SPAM emails. We have the MAC addresses of the
suspected computers and know which locations they are coming from, but
they do not spend much time in any one location. What I would like to do
is setup a box with snort and configure a very specific rule set to have
snort text message my mobile phone when it sees these two MAC addresses
on our network and possibly from which switch/wap/vlan/etc. Is this
possible? If so can somebody give me a couple configuration examples?

   Hrmf, One quick way to do this but it would depend if you have your
own mail server and they are using that mailserver to send SPAM through
and thats all they appear to be doing. If said mailserver is *NIX
(If MS mailserver you could do the same using the scheduler i would think)
system, you could just create a script, run it from cron every couple
mins/sec on the mailserver that simply does a "arp -a" and then mail's you
the info.

example: (adjust to suit your needs, as is
          will probubly blow up your pager/phone
          when hosts are dectected untill you disable
          it or clear the arp cache:) )

--------->snip<-------------------
#!/bin/sh
#

H1=`arp -a | grep '09:00:00:fm:0f:00'`
H2=`arp -a | grep '09:00:00:fm:0f:00'`

  if [ -n "${H1}"]; then
     echo ${H1} | mailx -s 'Host Active!" you () whereever com
  fi

  if [ -n "${H2}"]; then
     echo ${H1} | mailx -s 'Host Active!" you () whereever com
  fi

exit 0
--------->snip<-------------------

   With a script simaler to this one, you could expand on it, add a ping, traceroute
command, "smbclient -L <host>",  or using 'expect' to login to whatever swicth and
automaticly grab the info from it as well, etc.. (All this, if in fact they are
using your mailserver to send spam). depening on your scripting skills, this may
be faster than setting up a whole new box installing/configing snort, though
not a bad idea reguardless of your current situation. :)

   Have a look also at 'arpwatch'. I run it, and it works great.
   http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/

  On that note, just a week or so ago i found the following
articial to be most usefull.

"Tracking Down the Phantom Host"
   http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1705

  Hope this helps.

PS:
     yeah my spelling sucks >;P

- nocon

Captus Networks IPS 4000
Intrusion Prevention and Traffic Shaping Technology to:
 - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
 - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
 - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security & Performance Policies
FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit - WhitePapers - Live Demo
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CaptusNetworks_focus-ids_000101