IDS mailing list archives

RE: Top IPS vendors - please read for invitation to Network World review.

From: "Rob Shein" <shoten () starpower net>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 12:22:14 -0400

If you fixate too heavily on "prevention" as the key word, then you could
refer to Nessus, or even simple policy documents, as IPS for their role in
assessing security to forestall potential intrusions.  The point here is
that unlike a firewall, an IPS is an active device.  For example, hogwash as
used in a later-generation honeynet alters packets of certain types that
pass through it.  If it sees shellcode that references "/bin/sh" it changes
one byte and the end result is a reference to "/ben/sh," which of course
does not exist.  In this way, it takes the technology of an IDS (attack
detection) and goes one very significant step further to actually foil the
attack.  While I feel that the technology is not quite ready for prime-time
just yet, it is far from just being a marketing term, and certainly does
something that has not previously been done.