IDS mailing list archives

RE: ICMP Ping Sweep Detection

From: "Jerry Heidtke" <jheidtke () fmlh edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:12:29 -0500

Why not run snort on Windows? See http://www.silicondefense.com/support/windows/. There is a signature included with
snort that detects the Nachia/Welchia pings, identified as CyberKit 2.2 pings. We are running it (not on Windows, but
it should work just as well), sending syslog alerts from snort for this signature to a Windows syslog server
(http://www.kiwisyslog.com/products.htm#syslog) which generates emails and pages to our network group if it detects
alerts against ten consecutive addresses. Works perfectly. The network group then null routes the address generating
the pings (to limit the traffic to the local segment), tracks down the associated switch port, and disables the device.

Jerry