IDS mailing list archives

RE: Network hardware IPS

From: Ron Gula <rgula () tenablesecurity com>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 11:15:45 -0400

At 11:22 AM 9/30/2003 -0500, Davis, Scott L wrote:
Anybody have any experience or feedback on the IntruShield product,
especially since being acquired by NAI? They gave my company a sales pitch
yesterday. They claim a "92% reduction in false positives". Of course the
sales guy could not tell me what that was a reduction of, whether over their
own previous products or a specific manufacturer, what type of environment
etc. He did throw Greg's name and Neohapsis around quite a bit, to the point
of quoting Greg as thinking the IntruShield 4000 is the best inline product
in their market space. So any feedback, especially anything Mr. Shipley may
feel comfortable adding, would be greatly appreciated.

Tenable just added support for IntruSheild in our Lightning Console. This
can get you a large reduction of non-interesting events by correlating events
from NAI's sensor with known vulnerabilities as well as allowing a lot of
different individuals to see the IntruSheild events for just their networks.

Having done an IDS before, I will say IntruSheild should be on everyone's
list to look at, as they have done a lot of very good things. If you are
the type of NIDS fellow who likes to tweak signatures and SSH into your box
to check the logs, it's not for you. However, all of the customers I've
talked with are happy with their Intrusheild's performance and report less
overall events than with their previous NIDS.

Ron Gula, CTO
Tenable Network Security
http://www.tenablesecurity.com

Captus Networks IPS 4000
Intrusion Prevention and Traffic Shaping Technology to: - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
- Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
- Precisely Define and Implement Network Security & Performance Policies
FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit - WhitePapers - Live Demo http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CaptusNetworks_focus-ids_000101