IDS mailing list archives

Re: Announcement: Alert Verification for Snort

From: Aaron Temin <aaron.temin () comcast net>
Date: 17 Nov 2003 13:14:09 -0500

Extending the categorizations (mentioned by Marty in his email and Ron
in the whitepaper referenced in his email) can lead, I think, to a
quantifiable description of the value of combining vulnerability
information with alerts from an IDS.

By (pedantically, I admit) separating "accurate" into positives and
negatives, the 9 categories in Ron's whitepaper turn into 16, with 4 of
those having different outcomes (that is, where the application of the
vulnerability knowledge modifies the outcome from the IDS itself).

Of these 4, 3 represent improvements and 1 represents a degradation. So,
assuming an equal distribution, combining the two sources of information
affects 25% of the outcomes, and improves the outcome 19% (3/16) of the
time.

Two of the 3 "improved" cases are where a false positive from the IDS is
downgraded/ignored, so this is one way to reduce false positives....

Two of the 4 are good nontextuals, where the vulnerability information
provides obviously useful additional information for determining if the
alert is important.

To get results that are more applicable to one's network, one could
provide a separate weighting factor to each possible outcome and then
combine those numbers (that is, depending on one's distribution of
correct and incorrect detects, the improvement could be larger or
smaller than 19%; one also has to consider how damaging the 1 degrading
case is to one's security- this is where the IDS indicates a true
detect, but the vulnerability information incorrectly says that the
systems are not vulnerable to the detected attack).

(I'm happy to provide an extended description of this if anyone is
interested, I was trying to keep this posting as short as possible.)

Aaron