IDS mailing list archives

RE: IDS (ISS) and reverse engineering

From: "Drew Copley" <dcopley () eeye com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 14:02:14 -0800

It is illegal if performed in order to crack the software, or as they
say, "to circumvent copyright protection". It is not illegal if it is
from a security perspective. The law is poorly worded and will probably
be hammered out in the courts, but this kind of situation would be very
unlikely to be taken by court as it is pretty explicit for security
research.

(Now, for an independent researcher doing this without pay, maybe a
company that feels its' holes should be hidden from the world might make
the incredibly stupid move of trying to sue the researcher... As has
happened, and as has been far more stinging to them then if they had
just dealt with the researcher honestly and professionally.)