IDS mailing list archives

Re: Got IDS installed, now need incident response plan document

From: Randy Taylor <gnu () charm net>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 11:42:14 -0400

Hi Bryan -

Here are two books that may help.

"Writing Information Security Policies", by Scott Barman
and
"Incident Response: A Strategic Guide to Handling System
and Network Security Breaches", by Dr. Gene Schultz and
Russell Shumway

Of the two, the incident response book may give you more
short-term benefit, but from the sounds of it, the security policy
book will probably help you as well.

George Capehart's advice is spot on. Don't let yourself
get rushed into putting out a plan. That path will likely
do more harm than good long term. Educate your boss!

Writing an IR plan isn't "War and Peace", but it isn't
something one can just toss off, either.

Hope this helps.

Randy