IDS mailing list archives

results of the first honeyd challenge

From: Niels Provos <provos () citi umich edu>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 15:00:33 -0500

On February 17th, we announced the first Honeyd challenge and asked
the community to improve Honeyd by creating useful feature additions.
One month later we received eight submissions which were evaluated by
the judges during the last week.  While eight submissions is a small
number compared to the challenges of the Honeynet Project, we were
still impressed by the novelty of the solutions and the amount of time
that the contestants put into the Honeyd Challenge.

The best submissions included a pattern detection engine for the
network traffic passing through Honeyd and a tool that builds random,
realistic Honeyd configuration files.  We also received submissions
for a graphical user interface, a port of Honeyd to Windows and many
more.

You can find the results of the challenge at

  http://www.citi.umich.edu/u/provos/honeyd/ch01-results/

Once again, I would like to thank everybody who participated in the
challenge.  As a result of this challenge, the community has received
several new service emulations, new configuration tools and many novel
ideas on how to use Honeyd.

Sincerely
  Niels Provos.

ALERT: Exploiting Web Applications- A Step-by-Step Attack Analysis
Learn why 70% of today's successful hacks involve Web Application
attacks such as: SQL Injection, XSS, Cookie Manipulation and Parameter
Manipulation.
http://www.spidynamics.com/mktg/webappsecurity71