IDS mailing list archives

RE: Random IDS Thoughts [WAS: Re: IDS thoughts]

From: "Steven Rudolph" <srudolph () iocenter net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 08:43:04 -0400

Mike,
Thank you for sharing this with everyone.
You had mentioned that you have home grown your log collection system.
If you are using any open source programs to do this, what have your
choices been?  I am attempting to build what sounds like a similar setup
but on a much smaller scale - about 500 servers or so with sustained
bandwidth in only the 10Mb range out to the net.

I am still in the development/proof of concept stage and experimenting
with different ideas at the moment.  I would like to consolidate logs
from syslog (using msyslog), Windows (syslogNT), and application logs.
I am just starting the hunt for application log -> SQL database import
utilities for both Apache, IIS and some others.  Could you recommend any
programs that are capable of doing this?

Could you point me towards some papers or web sites that overview data
mining techniques?
Thanks,

Steve Rudolph, CCSA, CCSE
Internet Operations Center