IDS mailing list archives

Re: AW: General term for Gateway IDS, IDP, IPS ...

From: stefmit <stefmit () comcast net>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 07:12:43 -0500

IMHO: Yes and no - *inline* implies *something in-between*, while some
I(ntrusion)P(revention)S(ystems) may just passively "watch" traffic "sitting
on a stick", learning from the behavioral pattern of traffic they "see"
passing by (base-line - if you will), then act appropriately when that
pattern is identified as "out-of-<include_your_rules_here>boundaries". In
other words I would see inline-IDS belonging (not equivalent!) to the family
of IPS.

Now - coming back to the original question: the *gateway IDS* is (IMHO, again
- and I fully agree with you, here) what you would call inline-IDS (i.e. a
"sort-of" IPS), because it assumes traffic flowing *through* it (thus
*inline*), and acting upon it (thus the prevention part, vs. the more passive
detection-only, as the regular IDS would do).

Does this even make sense?!? ;)

Stef