IDS mailing list archives

RE: False Positives

From: Steven Richards <srichards () netscreen com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 13:19:29 -0700

<insert standard vendor disclaimer here>

I would like to offer up a couple of definitions of terms for
discussion.

We in the security space, more specifically the IDS/P space should
agree on some standard language.

In my opinion, these terms should be considered:

False Positive=   Sensor is supposed to be looking for 'xyz' and what
actually goes across the wire is 'abc' which generates an alert.

Non-Security Event=   Sensor is looking for 'XXX' it sees 'XXX' go
over the wire, *but* it is not an actual "Security Event" because the
corporate security policy and/or the system configurations are
intentionally not configured to disallow 'XXX'.  For example: you
configure your systems to allow Null Login NetBIOS Sessions (for
whatever reason) and your corporate security policies do not disallow
this.  The sensor sees this traffic and it generates an alert.  It
actually happened on your network.  It's just that you don't *care*
about it.