IDS mailing list archives

RE: Active response... some thoughts.

From: "Ralph Los" <RLos () enteredge com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:38:53 -0500

Gentlemen,

        I can't agree more.  I implement and support IDSes at some very
large companies and even some small ones, and TCP-Reset is not a widely
popular nor, IMHO, effective strategy.  First off, as the email mentions
below, the attacker can just simply hack his stack to ignore the
resets...hey, it's possible.  Also, TCP-Resets can create a storm of packets
between your attacker and your IDS, effectively decreasing the effectiveness
of the IDS you have.

        Picture this...you have an attacker who figures our you have an
IDS...woo hoo, right?  Well, the attacker then proceeds to think that it's
better to just wipe you off the 'net than to hack your box, less effort that
way.  How trivial would it be to write a script (for those that can code) to
continue to supply large-quantities of packets at the target host.  These
packets get intercepted by the IDS and it starts to send out huge quantities
of TCP-Resets.  The router in-between starts to see utilization go up, up,
up until you have a saturated circuit - and what's worse, you're partly to
blame.  I can't afford to have an instance where my clients call me to tell
me my IDS has participated in a DoS against their 'net.  For this reason I
stick with NetworkICE's (ISS, who?, heh) Guard product.  It's in-line, fast
and does the trick.  I'm not sure if you guys have used IntruVert's product
large-scale, but I'm working with them to do some testing...sounds like a
competitor to Guard.

        Anyway - the point sir, we well made, and well taken.  But I have to
say that in 75%+ of my managed networks, I don't care because I wouldn't
implement at TCP-Reset product anyway :)

Just my personal, very humble opinion
Ralph