IDS mailing list archives

RE: IDS Stealth Mode

From: "Brito, Nelson (ISS Brazil)" <nbrito () iss net>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 11:00:59 -0200

About issue #1:
Sometimes ago, you could crash some NIDS, even using "stealth NIC", with some
tools, such as: stick and snot.

Nowadays, I'm not sure about others products, but you cannot crash RealSecure
Network Sensor 7.0 using this tools or any other one.

The only way you were able to exploit the NIDS using "stealth NIC" was using DoS
attacks, crashing the engine or even the host machine. I never saw any
successful attack using "stealth NIC" to gain access to the LAN or any other
internal network.

About issue #2:
Oh, yeah. But when you say that you don't have any protocol "binded" on this NIC
nor "IP Forward" enabled, it's easier to the customer to understand that.

Hope this help.

Cheers.

Sem mais,
--
Nelson Brito
System Engineer

To contact me directly, please mailto:nbrito () iss net.