IDS mailing list archives

AW: [IDS] IDS Common Criteria

From: detmar.liesen () lds nrw de
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 09:11:42 +0100

FTWAI: (for those who are interested):
Europe has a pendant to CC - the Information Technology Security Evaluation
Criteria (ITSEC), which has adopted several thoughts of the Orange Book of CC
but is more flexible. In Germany the BSI (www.bsi.de) is the public authority
for ITSEC certifications.

BTW: I have once tried to read the orange book but I gave up on the 12th page or
so.
This experience was very traumatic for me (shudder).
8)

However, for stuff like b2b, even private companies nowadays tend to prefer
E3/high certified products.

As most of you probably know, in the US and in Germany (I don't know about the
others) it's compulsory to protect your business - and thus your
it-infrastructure as well - from known threats that could bankrupt you (for
those who want to know, I am talking about the German KonTrag act and it's
consequences).

If you have a security concept and your infrastructure is certified E3/high, you
have solid proof that you have taken adequate measures for protecting your
business and this protects you (as a business owner or executive) from being
charged for serious negligence if this is the right term in english.
:)
Of course, E3/high certified products do not protect you from harm if your
security concept does not include audits and assessment that are performed on a
regular term.

For government security-infrastructure such as firewalls, E3/high is compulsory
anyway.

Just my 2 Cents
;)

Cheers,