IDS mailing list archives

RE: Snort-Inline and worm containment

From: "Rob Shein" <shoten () starpower net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 12:13:04 -0500

The Honeynet Project uses a variant of Snort-Inline for an almost identical
purpose in their 2nd Generation Honeynets.  Their goal is to prevent the
compromise of other networks or hosts due to attacks originating from the
Honeynet.  The difference is that while they only prevent outbound traffic
from having an impact, I imagine you're considering the opposite.  Their
implementation also allows the traffic out, but munges parts of it to render
it ineffective against the outside target.

On the downside, however, they have little to worry about in the way of
false positives; it's a honeynet, so any traffic in or outbound from it is
almost certain to be hostile, and is definitely not of any production value
(as we normally consider the term).