IDS mailing list archives

RE: Protocol Anomaly Detection IDS - Honeypots

From: "Adam Powers" <apowers () lancope com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 18:28:43 -0500

Indeed, the true value of the honeypot does lies in detection and the
reduction of false positives.

Most of the discussion thus far has been in regards to packet and
session specific protocol anomalies. We must also consider policy-based
anomalies. These include deviations from normal or acceptable behavior
that's unrelated to the payload or makeup of a given datagram.

Projects such as honeyd (my personal favorite for this task) and LeBrea
provide a convenient mechanism for creating "network booby-traps". As
Lance points our, when hosts access honeypot resources there's rarely a
legitimate reason. Short of a fat fingered addr or malfunctioning app,
connections to honeypot hosts are almost always a SURE sign of nefarious
behavior.

I think it'll be interesting how we vendors import honeypot
functionality (for the above listed cause and others) into their
technologies.