IDS mailing list archives

RE: sniffer detection on switched based networks

From: "Angel Rivera" <arivera () mitre org>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 09:26:58 -0500

Adding to Mr. Gaya's request I would also be interested in ways to prevent
this type of attack. I apologize for it being slightly off the IDS subject
but this is one finding that keeps coming up in vulnerability assessments
and the solutions I know about (Switch ACL's restricting individual MAC
addresses which requires you inventory each network card's MAC address) are
really not practical at all.