IDS mailing list archives

Re: SourceFire RNA

From: Renaud Deraison <deraison () nessus org>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 12:01:14 -0500

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 11:44:30AM -0500, Rob Shein wrote:
I wouldn't say "reactive security practices don't work."  There's absolutely
no way to cover all the bases in advance, and that's just how life is; you
have to have a reactive capability to be secure.

Sorry, I was not clear - I actually meant reactive vulnerability management
practices don't work (ie: wait for an attack to occur, patch afterwards).

That is, if you have a 100% passive tool which is here to help you foresee
possible vulnerabilities on your network it's not OK to say that you don't
really care about mute hosts. This is why we advise the use of passive
scanners like NeVO or RNA to be used in conjunction with active probes.

                                -- Renaud