IDS mailing list archives

Re: SourceFire RNA

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 11:26:56 -0500

We can track and profile every active network element that's generating traffic on the network and we can discover new elements in real-time. The answer to the "how do you detect inactive hosts" question is "we don't", you have to decide how important it is to know about machines that are completely inactive on a network. This kind of falls into the "if a tree falls in the woods..." category from a certain standpoint, but if you want to discover all the inactive hosts on your network and track them on an ongoing basis then you can simply run an initial discovery scan with any scanning tool (eg. nmap/strobe/hping/etc) and RNA will see the scan traffic and auto-populate itself with host representations for everything that responds.

     -Marty