IDS mailing list archives

Re: Question on resources needed to manage IDSes

From: "Peter Schawacker" <peter () schawacker com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 12:54:35 -0800

Ken,

The number of sensors isn't as important as the organization's required
alert response time.  One FTE can handle dozens of sensors if the customer
is willing tolerate pager-based monitoring after hours.  Some shops don't
mind waiting until 9:00 to respond to alerts. One I once worked for required
that someone always be watching the scope.  That meant that at least two
individuals had to be scheduled in the NOC 2/47 in case somebody had to take
nature break.  In that particular NOC there were about a dozen IDS sensors
and more than 100 firewalls, plus various other infrastructure monitoring
going on.

Also consider that in medium and large companies, there is going to more
than one type of analyst.  Even understaffed IDS teams tend to have multiple
tiers of engineers.

Bottom line is covering office and on-call schedules, vacations, training,
sick days, attrition (how many good analysts want to work nights?) and
special circumstances is a much more important problem than how many sensors
one has.

Sorry there's no easy formula.  For most companies IDS staffing comes down
to loading the analysis function on top of already overworked engineers.

Peter