IDS mailing list archives

Re: Network IDS

From: Andreas Krennmair <netnews () synflood at>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:02:36 +0200

* Duston Sickler <dustons () charter net> [gmane.comp.security.ids]:
 The Network Administrator for the company I work for has charged me to
 locate a Network Intrusion Detection System.  We do have a monitored
 firewall between us and the outside world.  We need something to protect our
 servers from anyone coming from the inside.

Then a NIDS is not the right thing for you. Network Intrusion Detection
is not about protecting systems.

                                              We have about 20 Windows 2000
 Servers, 5 NT 4 Servers, and 250 Windows 2000/Thin Net workstations.

Put the servers into a demilitarized zone and turn off any network
services that are running on the workstations/thin clients.

regards, ak

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30 (Training), October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner,
VA; the world’s premier
technical IT security event.  Modeled after the famous Black Hat event in
Las Vegas! 6 tracks, 12 training sessions, top speakers and sponsors.
Symanetc is the Diamond sponsor.  Early-bird registration ends September 6 Visit: www.blackhat.com