IDS mailing list archives

RE: host-based ips ?

From: "Chris Petersen" <chris () security-conscious com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 20:42:57 -0400

Haven't looked at Entercept in awhile but if I were to compare the two,
Entercept relies more on signature based analysis via kernel shim while
Okena relies more on a behavior based approach (although Entercept also
claims to do this).  Okena models what typically occurs on the system
(what programs are running, what files they access, run states, etc.)
than applies rules when deviations occur (e.g., kill process).  For
instance, Okena can restrict the IIS process from accessing any other
files/directories besides those specifically permitted (e.g., cmd.exe).
In theory, this allows Okena to prevent unknown attacks.

I would think Entercept a better solution when the protected system is
changing frequently.  I think Okena is promising for systems with a very
defined function, fewer applications, and infrequent modifications such
as web servers, mail servers, DNS servers, etc.  I say this because if
the system changes frequently, the behavior policy (Okena) would need to
change frequently, this isn't the case with a signature based approach
(Entercept).

As far as Cisco buying Okena, not sure how much that really means.
Cisco had been OEM'ng (reselling under their own name) Entercept prior
to the Okena acquisition.  Many factors go into an acquisition of this
sort, quality of the technology being only one of them.

Chris Petersen
Security Conscious, Inc.
www.security-conscious.com