IDS mailing list archives

Cisco switches and fiber taps

From: Carl Johnson <Carl.Johnson () Overture com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 16:03:54 -0800

Hi everyone,

I'm at a loss with how to get gigabit fiber data to my IDS.  I've got a
6-station NetOptics gig fiber tap.  It's outputting data fine, but when I
connect the output from the tap to multimode SC GBICs on my 3550-12G Cisco
switch, I can't see any of the data.  The Cisco switch won't show the ports
as "up", I guess because only the receive half of the fiber is connected as
far as the switch is concerned - transmit side not connected.

What I'm trying to is described EXACTLY here:

http://www.sans.org/rr/intrusion/internal.php

Except that I have the 3550-12G switch instead of a 4912.

To have a SPAN session on the switch (to consolidate the data from the tap)
the ports have to be up.  Any idea how I can get the Cisco to recognize the
incoming data?

Thanks very much!
Carl

ALERT: Exploiting Web Applications- A Step-by-Step Attack Analysis
Learn why 70% of today's successful hacks involve Web Application
attacks such as: SQL Injection, XSS, Cookie Manipulation and Parameter
Manipulation.
http://www.spidynamics.com/mktg/webappsecurity71