IDS mailing list archives

RE: Detecting trojans on random ports with encrypted traffic...

From: Clint Byrum <cbyrum () spamaps org>
Date: 30 Oct 2002 10:28:32 -0800

On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 06:00, Chris Petersen wrote:
A commercial solution you may also want to investigate is Stealthwatch
by Lancope.  From what I have read (haven't had hands on unfortunately)
this technology is uniquely designed to detect those attacks where
signatures don't or can't exist (e.g., reasons expressed below).
Stealthwatch detects attacks via "flow-based analysis", that is they
keep a table of who is talking to who and how.  A newly installed
trojan/backdoor should initiate a "flow" (unique SIP, DIP, SPort, DPort,
Protocol) that has never been seen on the network before (e.g., outbound
connection to attacker).  This flow will be identified and compared to
the baseline of "normal" flows captured/catalogued where it will be
determined anomalous and an alarm will be generated.

Isn't this similar to what SPADE does in snort?

May be worth investigating
http://www.lancope.com/