IDS mailing list archives

Re: Snort Monitoring

From: Krzysztof Przepiorka <Krzysztof.Przepiorka () pro-futuro com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 08:48:24 +0100

Scott M. Algatt wrote:

All,

Thanks for the reponses!

Let me start by better explaining my current setup and then list the
different suggested packages.  I wanted to just send a blanket statement
because I should be able to customize my setup in order to accomodate the
package of my dreams :)

Anyways, I am already running ACID.  We have about 80+ sensors running and
they all report to our centralized ACID database using an stunnel'd
connection.  This is the best thing since sliced bread as far as I am
concerned.  We are able to view lots of traffic and what not.  The only
problem is that with 80+ sensors there is no way to tell if a sensor is
not sending me information.  I was only looking for something to
accomplish the piece of notification of online/offline status.  After all
of the responses my brain began to spiral out of control from the
possibilities of all the different software out there.  There are about
five pieces of software that were suggested.

Nagios
www.nagios.com

Snortcenter
users.pandora.be/larc

Demarc PureSecure
www.demarc.com

Big Brother
www.bb4.org

StillSecure Border Guard
www.stillsecure.com

I am currently toying with snortcenter for a number of reasons, free,
integrates with ACID, and I think it fits the bill.

Again thanks to everyone!

Regards,

Scott M. Algatt

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

If you only want to monitor if snort daemon is up /down you can always use a net-snmp (ucd-snmp) agent to monitor if the processes are running or not, if not a trap will be sent to a management console (i.e. based on scotty)

Regards
KP