IDS mailing list archives

RE: How to keep sensors in sync using NTP?

From: "Alex Arndt" <aarndt () canada com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 20:05:18 -0400

Please find my reply in-line below...

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruno Sicchieri [mailto:bsicchieri () hotmail com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 8:57 AM
To: focus-ids () securityfocus com
Subject: How to keep sensors in sync using NTP?
<snip>
I´m using "ntp-4.1.1" and writing
from "/usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Sao_Paulo" with "UTC=true"
in /etc/sysconfig/clock file.

This could be the result of the string "UTC=true". Essentially,
the time will be set to UTC, despite the local timezone setting.
If you want local time, perhaps a change to "UTC=false" may fix
the problem.

Everything looks OK but the sensors stay 2 hours in advance.
I already
read the NTP manual but I still can´t figure out what is happen.

BRST = UTC - 3
(BRazil Std Time equals Coordinated Universal Time minus Three)

The Time Zone map posted at the US Naval Observatory refers:
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/world_tzones.html
Note: BRST = Time zone "P"
        UTC = Time zone "Z"

BTW, if I'm correct, it would appear that your sensors should be
THREE hours ahead, vice TWO. (Perhaps your system is being forced
to observe Daylight Savings Time (DST)?)

Anyone could help please?

Thanks, Bruno.

I hope this does!

Alex Arndt, GCIA
"Within all order is the potential for chaos..."