IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS responses

From: <marca369 () student liu se>
Date: 18 Nov 2002 14:33:35 -0000

Can anyone explain or direct me to an explanation of the SNMP Trap's
use in active responses of intrusion detection systems?

See answer below

SNMP Trap; Reconfigure network devices?

SNMP Traps can be used on a sensor to send asynchronous messages to a
console. These messages are not sent to network devices. The console on
its
end might then reconfigure the network device (probably via SNMP again,
but
not TRAPS, but an SNMP SET). I think this is all the magic that is behind
this.

So, as far as I understand, what vendors mean by stating their products
support "SNMP Trap" is the same as supporting blocking or shunning
(reconfiguring router/firewall ACLs)? Using SNMP for sending event
messages to the IDS console wouldnt be very smart since its a
connectionless protocol (UDP) and the traffic is unencrypted.

/Markus