IDS mailing list archives

AW: IDS using Taps & network bridging

From: "Poppi, Sandro" <Sandro.Poppi () wacker com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 08:41:24 +0100

Hi Jim,

instead of network bridging I used the Channel Bundling feature of Linux.
It's documented in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/net/bonding.txt. Maybe
you'll give it a shot.

Ciao,
Sandro

Hi,

I'm doing some testing to see how Taps could be implimented
in my environment.
I've read some information from Snort.org and other sources
showing the use of
taps in conjunction with a switch.  I would like to eliminate
the switch for
the aggregation and I'm looking for ideas on how to do that.
The IDS platform
is snort running on Intel with Linux 2.4 Kernel.  Ideas I've
had so far are:

1. Hub - full duplex issues - scrapped that idea!
2. Bridged network cards - sniffing the bridged interface has been
problematic.  It works but there seems to be an ARP DoS - any
ideas on this
would be great!
3. Multi port NIC that has software to aggregate.  The only
solution I've found
for this only has drivers for Windows.

I'm open to any suggestions but I'm really interested in the
network bridging.
What I've done so far is:
-Install 3 NICs in my box
-Bridged eth1 & eth2 to br0
-started up the bridge
-sniffed br0

I see mostly massive amounts of ARP traffic - any help on
this would be
appreciated.

Regards,

Jim

"Life's tough - but it's a whole lot tougher when your stupid!"