IDS mailing list archives

RE: ForeScout ActiveScout (was: Re: Intrusion Prevention)

From: "Dudley, Brian (ISS Chicago)" <BDudley () iss net>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 14:46:00 -0500

A scan is launched at a web server farm by a hacker or a worm, ActiveScout replies with bogus information about web
servers that do not exist.   Then the hacker or automated worm takes this information and tries to launch an attack at
these bogus hosts, and immediately ActiveScout blocks the attackers IP. It knows that nobody should send a request to
an IP that does not exist. So it doesn't matter if you are from the original scanning IP address or a separate address.
 The only thing that matters is you are trying to attack a host that does not exist.  Now if you get lucky and launch
an attack from a separate IP at a valid server IP then your traditional IDS should catch it, however automated attacks
take scan info and launch at all IP's and therefore worms like slapper or Code Red should be automatically blocked.
This product is a supplement to regular IDS/IPS which will detect and block single host attacks with no pre-attack
probe.  The beauty is that it blocks un-known automated attacks like Code Red, Nimda, Slapper, etc...  Remember Defense
in Depth... There is no silver bullet...

Having said that, a problem I see is if the attacker knows you are using this technology and spoofs the source address
of one of your business partners, DNS server, etc. in a packet destined to a bogus ActiveScout IP, which could
potentially DOS your network.  This may be mitigated if ActiveScout ensures that a full TCP session is established
before blocking the offending IP.

-Brian