IDS mailing list archives

RE: ICSA [WAS: Re: Intrusion Prevention]

From: Greg Shipley <gshipley () neohapsis com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 16:50:21 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 30 Dec 2002 smarkle () icsalabs com wrote:

All - I have remained silent on this list for years. I am interested in
helping mature an Industry. That is what ICSA Labs does and IDS has been
one of my responsibilities since early 1999. After cutting through the
stinging criticism and saber rattling, I have chosen to respond only to
the paragraph above. Any vendor that knows the ICSA Labs testing
methodology knows that for over ten years we have perfected pass/fail
certification testing with evolving test methodology and criteria. We
did this when everyone else argued that it was the wrong approach. This
is the standard, and it is in fact the ICSA Labs approach that has been
mirrored by other test labs.

Just for the record, the paragraph you quoted was not necessarily in
reference to ICSA labs, specifically.  I still stand by OSEC being a lot
different then what I've seen come out of ICSA in the past, but that
paragraph was in reference to publications and testing in general.

Further, has ICSA labs been publishing IDS certifications since 1999?  If
so, my bad, I must have been mistaken / missed that.  If not, then I'm
even more confused.