Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Proxies, opensource and the general market: what's wrong with us?

From: ArkanoiD <ark () eltex net>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 18:09:27 +0400

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 10:22:45AM +0200, Claudio Telmon wrote:

Proxies have been mostly put on top of an operating system's tcp/ip
stack, but I wouldn't say that this is a benefit, it's just simpler.

Actually it *IS* a benefit. By eliminating direct packet flow you do not
need to care about bad things sneaking in TCP and below,  actually it is the only
way to *reliably* ensure that we see similar data on the firewall and the endpoint.

Also, having more devices (e.g. separating a packet filter from a proxy,
and from a VPN concentrator, etc.) means more complexity and more
errors/bugs.

Sometimes it is just more reliability, depends on how you do implement that :-)

I see little to no reason to combine VPN concentrator and firewall in the single box,
despite the fact it is most popular way to do it.