Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: obscure email address formats

From: Jim Seymour <jseymour () LinxNet com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 18:19:32 -0400

On Tue, 24 May 2011 00:30:24 +0400
ArkanoiD <ark () eltex net> wrote:

Is there any good reason to allow email addresses (in smtp, imap
and alikes) in any format different from mailbox@fqdn ?

There is plenty of other stuff defined in RFCs and I wonder if
anyone really uses it so I should *not* just filter it out.

Couldn't say, for sure, but I've had this

    /[!%\@].*\@/    550 This server disallows weird address syntax.

PCRE regexp in every mail server I've deployed for (checks...) better
than a dozen years.

Regards,
Jim
--
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is