Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Content filtering - how to enforce at home

From: Randall C Grimshaw <rgrimsha () syr edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 06:29:41 -0400

Physical access is always a problem, especially if they possess replacement routers - but here is what I use:

2 stacked NAT routers, Cable modem -> R1 -> R2 -> house

R1 is a NAT with 802.11n WPA2 private password for my rare bypass needs. The ports are MAC secured to include my
notebook and R2

R2 is a WRT running the latest Gargoyle / OpernWRT configured to enforce OpenDNS subscribed (free available) site
category filtering / tracking. Gargoyle also has functional rate limiting, access quotas, reporting, filtering,

Notes:
My college kids used to have access to R1 in a former configuration, but hacker would break into their computers and
they were often careless users. So for a while a bsecure securespot (no longer offered but signs of returning) sat
between R1 and R2 (pre Gargoyle) A hotspot like password was used for bypass needs. Todays configuration is better for
my immediate needs and works pretty well... hacker #2 is going to be a bigger challenge and I may need a PCI compliant
cage.

Good luck Jim... as usual should any of your force be....

Randall Grimshaw rgrimsha () syr edu