Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Taking a traffic snapshot with network IDS

From: Farrukh Haroon <farrukhharoon () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 16:51:39 +0300

Instead of capturing each packet, you would be better off going via the
Netflow Path IMHO.

There are a number of free netflow analyzers available on the Internet e.g.:

http://www.plixer.com/products/netflow-sflow/free-netflow-scrutinizer.php
http://www.solarwinds.com/products/freetools/netflow_analyzer.aspx
http://www.paessler.com/ ( I think they offer one netflow sensor in the free
version)

Regards

Farrukh

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 4:58 PM, Yack, Daniel <dyack () aiminspections com>wrote:

 There are probably one thousand ways to do this, but I wanted to toss
this out…

For simplicity, let’s just say I’m watching traffic from an internet router
to my core router(s).  That’s the only segment I’m interested in.  The goal
is for me to discover out all ‘normal’ traffic in my environment, and take a
snapshot of that.  By snapshot, I mean gather traffic for 24 hours.  Then
review all of it manually, and create a template that says “alert when you
find something that isn’t in this list”.

I realize this is a pretty simple problem – but getting back to basics is
always a good thing.  I do have some linux experience, but am not a ‘power
user’.  Any ideas on tools or what to use for this?  An IDS/IPS is probably
the answer here, right?  If so, which kind…perhaps snort?   I consider
myself a firewall guy but am ashamed I’ve never used it!!

Oh…as far as hardware available:  Doing this is in a lab first, which has:
Cisco for the internet router, going through Fortigate and/or Checkpoint
firewalls, into a Cisco core layer 3 switch.  Also I have a few linux
platforms but they’re tasked for other things over there.  Don’t
over-analyze the network topology, I can always move or make more than one
IDS if needed.

Any ideas?  Perhaps someone has done this before?

-Dan