Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Duplicate Public IP Addresses?

From: Dave Piscitello <dave () corecom com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 09:55:38 -0400

Paul D. Robertson wrote:

I think there's been a fair amount of work on detecting bogus BGP routing information since I had to deal with peering routers- and there don't seem to be enough incidents to make everyone want to solve anything, like getting the IRR to a near complete status.

There's actually quite a bit of research focused on detecting bogus BGP routing, to deter DDOS attacks for example, see

Mitigating IP Spoofing by Validating BGP Routes Updates http://paper.ijcsns.org/07_book/200905/20090510.pdf

and for preventing BGP prefix hijacking see www.ece.purdue.edu/~ychu/publications/conext07_hjk.pdf

FWIW, I found several dozen articles (many from refereed journals) by simply searching "detecting bogus BGP routing" from Paul's message.