Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall best practices

From: Martin Barry <marty () supine com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 10:46:03 +0200

$quoted_author = "Marcus J. Ranum" ;

That's why firewalls need to go back to doing what they
originally did, and parsing/analyzying the traffic that
flows through them, rather than "stateful packet
inspection" (which, as far as I can tell, means that
there's a state-table entry saying "I saw SYN!")

Marcus, are you referring to DPI or proxies or both or something else
entirely?

If the firewall doesn't understand the data it's passing,
it's not a firewall, it's a hub.

If an application emulates HTTPS traffic and is proxy aware, how do you tell
the difference?

cheers
Marty