Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall review tool for Junipers

From: Victor Williams <vbwilliams () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 19:09:52 -0500

Having gone through this already, there is no silver bullet for ruleset auditing...it takes human eyes and an explanation on why rulesets are the way they are.

For automated configuration collection and archive, as well as comparison, Kiwi Cattools will handle configurations with select Juniper devices.

The only way you're going to be able to audit configurations that a QSA would be fine with is to manually audit them and comment the rulesets--explain why they're needed. Cisco, Secure Computing Sidewinder (now owned by McAfee and going by a different name), etc all allow commenting of access lists. The last gap analysis we had with a QSA who audited our rulesets indicated that our rulesets and justifications would pass an audit because of the completeness of the comments.

Hope this helps.