Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: DNS Names for external services

From: orca Puget <klrorca () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:17:51 -0700

DNS entries really don't matter much when it comes to security. A port scan will revel the port you have open to the
internet and unless you changed them from the standard ports, a good guess is if 47,1723 (ptpp), 115 (l2tp),
500,4500,10000 (IPSEC) are open you are running the associated protocols. However were attacking you, I would look for
something easier to attack than VPN anyway, like a IIS vulnerability on port 80.

If I were to attack you via DNS I would much rather try to poison your DNS cache and send your users to a web page of
my design and hopefully gain access through I.E. vulnerability, get the user to download my Trojan, etc.