Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Who stay focused? (was: [Fwd: Question])

From: <hugh.fraser () arcelormittal com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 16:29:41 -0400

Ultimately, though, most of us work in a business environment that's generally governed by business decisions. One of
the lessons I learned long ago as a software developer is that the customer only wants good enough, not perfection,
even though as a software developer I always knew I could make the product better with a bit more time.

Security's no different. There's a sweet spot somewhere between wide-open and ratcheted down so tight nobody can use
it. That sweet spot is always different, and as a security professional, my job is to identify the exposures, the
technology and processes to address them, and to work with management to measure the risk. Ultimately, though, I have
to sell it, knowing the business climate (a tough sell these days). Sometimes the customer doesn't want to pay for the
perfect solution, and I will be held partially accountable for the fallout. But if you've done the front-end work
correctly, you will have identified the potential for problems up front. Hopefully, with your credibility still intact,
you'll be able to use the opportunity to move closer to the ideal solution.