Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Handling large log files

From: Paul Melson <pmelson () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 23:38:49 -0400

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 6:41 PM, Nate Hausrath <hausrath () gmail com> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have a central log server set up in our environment that would
receive around 200-300 MB of messages per day from various devices
(switches, routers, firewalls, etc).  With this volume, logcheck was
able to effectively parse the files and send out a nice email.  Now,
however, the volume has increased to around 3-5 GB per day and will
continue growing as we add more systems.  Unfortunately, the old
logcheck solution now spends hours trying to parse the logs, and even
if it finishes, it will generate an email that is too big to send.

[...][
Are there other solutions that would be better suited to log volumes
like this?  Should I look at commercial products?

Any comments/criticisms/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Please let me know if I need to provide more information.  Again, my
lack of experience in this area causes me hesitant to make a solid
decision without asking for some guidance first.  I don't want to
spend a lot of time going in one direction, only to find that I was
completely wrong.

What are you trying to achieve with your log analysis, as in, what
sort of actions would the review of this daily log report trigger?
Would you want to or should you move to a model where search/analysis
is happening in near-real time instead of once daily?  That's going to
be helpful in knowing what kind of solution you should be looking at.
Also, while it's overpowering your logcheck scripts, 5GB/day of log
data is nothing when you're talking about firewall logs.

PaulM