Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall rules order and performance

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 13:02:17 -0400

lordchariot () embarqmail com wrote:
the number of already
established connections in the kernel was the primary factor. You'd plateau
after a certain point as new connections were trying to allocate the memory.

I never understood why anyone would have a problem with that.
Just pre-allocate a pool and (if you're really into it) marshall
your pools based on the hash function you use to match
the streams so that stream data related to a particular
hash chain tend to be in the same memory pages.

It always seemed to me that a lot of the "system design"
of firewalls was "let's put our head between our knees and
hope Moore's law or marketing takes care of it for us."

mjr.
--
Marcus J. Ranum         CSO, Tenable Network Security, Inc.
                        http://www.tenablesecurity.com