Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Analyzing a Cisco firewalls connection table

From: Carson Gaspar <carson () taltos org>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 15:20:57 -0800

Paul D. Robertson wrote:

2. Why do people insist on archiving using rar instead of zip? I can't imagine letting a RAR file through a content filter, heck I don't even like to allow .zips!

RAR has a much better compression ration than ZIP. And _anything_ has to be better as a file format than ZIP is. I've written a ZIP file validation tool for use in email attachment scanning, and it isn't pretty (the filename is in 2 places - which do you use?). There are at least 2 corner cases where you can't reliably parse the ZIP file at all (Hint: _never_ put ZIP magic numbers inside comments if you want to get your data back...)

Of course I haven't looked at RAR's file format, so it's possible that it's even worse. But that would take effort...

--
Carson