Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Who stay focused? (was: [Fwd: Question])

From: Brian Loe <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 09:45:32 -0500

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:19 AM, hermit <hermit921 () yahoo com> wrote:

I really have to agree with Ron on this.  I see this all too often:
Tech:  "If you do that, this important functionality will break."
Manager does that.  Functionality breaks.
Manager: "It is all your fault."
Tech: "I warned you that would happen."
Manager: "You didn't persuade me to not do it, so it is your fault."
Manager spreads his version of fault around the company.

hermit921

Sounds like you guys need to learn to use the email tool a little more
effectively.

I have never just advised against something verbally. I will ALWAYS
follow up a verbal comment with an email. I will copy anyone who might
be helpful or interested on that email, brief history of the
discussion thus far (i.e. "as we discussed earlier in our meeting,
after such and such was realized and such and such suggested, I
respectfully...") and, if necessary, provide evidence in support of my
argument.