Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SCADA

From: Chris Blask <chris () blask org>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 10:49:16 -0700 (PDT)

Brian Loe <knobdy () gmail com> wrote:

You don't put general purpose systems on a SCADA network. They don't
do email - nor do they have an email client installed. They are there
to do one thing, run the SCADA application. Everything else has been
removed or disabled.

Not sure I follow you, here, since I think you know differently.   There is windows embedded directly into many SCADA
devices, and there is nothing removed from it at all over a standard Windows install.  Metasploit works wonderfully
against them.

This quote just sums up the whole problem with the segment:

http://www.engineeringtalk.com/news/roc/roc254.html

"Manufacturers in increasingly regulated industries such as pharmaceuticals, personal care, food and beverages will
appreciate the improved security features available when running RSView SE 3.0 under Windows 2000."Windows 2000
Authentication is a system-wide user group list, and users set up on this list can be added to RSView SE.
"This takes advantage of the high level of security provided by Windows 2000 and avoids the need to duplicate user
accounts.
"For some critical operations, such as changing set points or downloading recipes, RSView SE requires operators to
re-enter their user name and password, and can also require a second authorising "signature" before the changes take
effect."