Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: VPN/DMZ problem

From: "ॐ aditya mukadam ॐ" <securescorp () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 15:52:29 +0530

Ian,

If you can get to the LAN resources and not to the DMZ resources, you
would need to check on :

1) Split tunneling : DMZ subnets should be allowed.
2) NAT 0 statement should be configured for traffic between DMZ and pool IP
3) Make sure there is a return route on the destination ( jus to
check...i understand that the default gateway on the DMZ devices would
be the PIX interface)
4) Check your machine's routing table for any static routes for the
destination subnets conflicting.

Pointers to troubleshoot:
* Atter connecting the VPN, send continuous ping to the DMZ
destination. Check on the VPN clients statistics if the packets are
getting encrypted. If you donot see the encrypted packets increasing,
then you have a local issue. It is either with split tunneling subnet
or a route on your local PC. If you can see encrypted count incresing
...then the next step would be to check on the PIX. Running wireshark
on the virtual adapter will be useful as well.

* do a sh crypto ipsec sa on the PIX. Check if you see traffic
decrypting. If there is an issue with return route, you would see
decrypts but no encrypts !

* You can run the command ' man-<interface name> command. By doing
this you can ping the PIX DMZ interface itself and troueblshoot.Thsi
will isolate issue with the return route etc on the destination
network. ( eg: your case it would be  man-Perimeter )

Hope this helps. Let me know the results and we will take next
actions(fi needed)

Thanks,
Adi

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 10:37 AM, Christopher J. Wargaski