Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Reset-O from everyone

From: "Chris Proctor" <Chris.Proctor () sungardhe com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 21:43:45 -0400

Bill,

This triggered a couple of thoughts in my head.
1.) Are you really seeing TCP resets or is this a timeout/state related
issue?
2.) If you are really seeing TCP resets, I would be looking for an
IDS/IPS (inclusive of potentially the ASA itself.)
3.) If it is timeout related, I would be looking to see if the TCP
timeout is misset or some other item is causing the ASA to consider the
connection dead and removing it.

It seems key to me to discover if you truly are having TCP resets or if
there's another culprit at work.

My first step would be to use the capture command on the ASA to capture
some of the packets going to/from a host on your network (looking
specifically for the connection resets.)  You can compare this
information from a show conn | inc <hostip> executed at the time of the
transfer.

There are a couple of other questions I'd need to ask to clarify your
situation if these don't point you to the answer:
1.) Are you running NAT?
2.) What version of code are you on?
3.) Do you have inspect turned on for each of the protocols which are
having an issue?
4.) Are you seeing packet fragmentation, out of order packets or missing
sequence numbers?
5.) Is the TCP window size changing in the flows having the issue?
6.) Does an internal transfer across the ASA have the same issues?  (For
instance inside to a DMZ)  (I believe you answered that but just so I'm
clear on what "inside our network" means.)

Chris Proctor
Sungard Higher Education