Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Provocative Query: Are firewalls obsolete in a world involving enterprise WebService SOA

From: AMuse <amuse () foofus com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:00:14 -0700

We definitely still need firewalls.

Yes, web services (J2EE) tunnel through HTTP, but I may have 30,000
hosts on my network.  Without a firewall, how do I prevent them from
advertising services to the world, then poorly configuring those services?

And how does J2EE tunneling across HTTP have anything to do with the
above risk and the use of a firewall to mitigate it?