Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: static nat and tcp limits

From: "Vladislav Antolik" <vladislav.antolik () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 21:11:02 +0100

Many thanks. Just one question. Is it true what I've written in my
question? That
there could be a problem with two same IP address - nated and real.

Vladislav

On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 11:54 PM, Fetch, Brandon <bfetch () tpg com> wrote:
Easiest way I've found to handle inside to DMZ traffic with the
 following presumption:
 Your security policy has no need for any of the "NAT inspections" the
 firewall does when it performs NAT across interfaces

 Easiest way to do this is to define a nonat group that includes your
 inside & DMZ networks both directions.

 And in your case it would appear to be a simple nonat ACL of:
 Permit ip 172.16.0.0 255.240.0.0 172.16.0.0 255.240.0.0

 Then define your appropriate "nat (1)" statements for the appropriate
 interfaces (inside & DMZ).

 This will make the firewall NOT perform NAT when either inside talks to
 DMZ or DMZ talks to inside.

 The added side benefit of this is it makes writing 'secure' (haha - I've
 seen some BAD ones) ACLs that allow traffic from the DMZ into the
 inside.  Since there is no NAT happening you don't have to worry about
 trying to figure out what inside address a DMZ system needs to be
 configured to allowed to reach.

 You're only dealing with RFC1918 address when creating/managing your
 'interior' ACLs to me means easier firewall management.

 HTH,
 Brandon